SWNM STATE FAIR RULES FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC ART EXHIBITS
Eligibility: Residents of Luna, Grant, Hidalgo, Sierra, or Dona Ana Counties.
- Divisions: Junior, Adult or Advanced (definitions are provided on pg 2)
- Categories: Each photo may be entered in one-and-only-one of the categories listed below:
Nature Sunrise/Sunset Flowers Animal
Birds, Insects People Still Life Special Effects
Black and White Uncategorized Architecture Landscape
- Entries: All photographs must be the work of the entrant, taken within the last three years, and must not have been entered in any previous SWNM State Fair.
- Entry Size:
- Junior – 4” x6” or 5” x 7” images – (Max size including optional matting.)
- Adult or Advanced – 8” x 10” to 16” x 20” images (Max size including optional matting.)
- Entry Format:
- No framed entries are permitted
- All entries must be adhered to a firm backing (such as foam board.) Matting and shrink wrap are optional. Shrink wrap is highly recommended to protect your images.
- Each image package must contain a wall hanging device on the back and must be securely packaged.
- The submitter agrees to be responsible for any damages to the work entered.
- Photo Identification: The back of each entry must contain the following info:
- “Junior,” “Adult,” or “Advanced” (as applicable);
- Category (see b above)
- Photographer’s name
- Photographer’s phone number
- No name or identification is permitted on the front of entries
- Entry Restrictions:
- Junior: Prints may be entered (distributed among categories as the entrant chooses). “Junior’s may enter the Adult or Advanced divisions.
- Adult or Advanced: Prints may be entered (distributed among categories as the entrant chooses). Any “Adult” may enter the advanced division.
- All entries from an individual are to be submitted in a single division following rules for that division.
- No fees will be charged and no prize money will be given.
- All entries will comply with standards of good taste.
- Judging: Photos will be judged based only on image content. Photos that do not meet requirements will not be judged. Photos judged to have been entered incorrectly in a category may be moved to a more appropriate category.
- Prizes: NO cash prizes, only ribbons – 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th/Honorable Mention; Sweepstakes for winning 1st, 2nd & 3rd in ONE category; “Best of Show” for each division; and an overall “Viewer’s Choice”
- Submitting Entries: Image entries will be accepted on Wednesday from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
- Photo Pick-up: Exhibits must be removed Sunday from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm; or as indicated by the SWNM Fair Officials. Have your Receipt Stub with you to claim each individual photo.
18 years old or less
Any age. This category is for previous winners of a total of 2 or more blue ribbons in prior years in the Adult division in SWNM State Fair competitions. Photo professionals must enter this category. Any adult may choose to enter this category. If you’re a in doubt, please call Janet at 546-4603.
Anything that is in place without man’s help, such as scenery or wild animals in the wild.
A photo of a plant that is cultivated or appreciated for its blossoms.
Photos of inanimate objects, where inanimate means not having qualities associated with active, living organisms. E.G.: bowls/baskets of flowers or fruit.
An effect used to produce images that cannot be achieved by standard photography
Structures photographed strictly for their construction effects.
Any photograph not fitting into any other photo category.
A protective wrapping consisting of a clear plastic film wrapped about the photo and then shrunk by heat to form a sealed, tight-fitting package. Sources: Some forms of window insulation are produced that are made of shrink wrap material, Framing shops, Craft departments in stores, … OR Photography Crystalclear bags.